Liberty Balloon Flights is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). The APPs are designed to protect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals by regulating the way personal information is collected, used, disclosed and managed. Personal information is information or an opinion relating to an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual.
This policy explains the types of personal information that we may collect and hold, how that information is used and with whom the information is shared. It also sets out how you can contact us if you have any queries or concerns about this information.
Why do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information about our passengers, stakeholders and organisations who are involved in our operations, customers, suppliers, contractors, job applicants and other contacts to understand and meet their needs, to conduct our activities and meet legal obligations.
What personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we may collect include contact information (such as your name, address, email address, telephone number and booking details if you’re paying for your experience over the phone), weight details (if you are flying with us), information about your employer, your newsletter preferences and any feedback that you provide to us about our products and services, our website, or other matters.
Sometimes our activities require us to collect sensitive information. For more details, see the section ‘Sensitive information is subject to greater restrictions’, below.
Liberty Balloon Flights also collects statistical information about visitors to our website. This information cannot be used to identify particular individuals but in some circumstances, it may include a visitor’s internet protocol address, which could be linked to the individual.
Personal information may be collected by way of forms filled out by individuals (including via online forms), emails, telephone conversations, online user-generated content and market research, face-to-face meetings and interviews. Where necessary and with your consent, we share some of your details with our operations team to ensure a seamless morning balloon flight.
If you choose not to provide the information, we need to fulfill your request for a specific product or service or to participate in standards development activities, we will not be able to provide you with the requested product or service or we may not be able to allow you to participate in our activities.
How might Liberty Balloon Flights use and disclose your personal information?
Liberty Balloon Flights may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose of collection, or for reasonably expected secondary purposes which are related to the primary purpose, or for purposes to which you have consented, and in other circumstances authorised by the Privacy Act.
Generally, Liberty Balloon Flights may use and disclose your personal information for a range of purposes, including to:
- Provide you with our products or services that you have requested.
- Respond to your queries or feedback.
- Provide you with any communications or publications in which we think you might be interested, or which you have requested.
- Let you know about developments in our procedures, products, services, activities and programs that might be useful to you.
- Consider employment applications
Disclosure of personal information to other parties
Liberty Balloon Flights may disclose your personal information to our operational team members, our external service providers that provide services to us (such as distribution of newsletters, standards and other publications developed by Liberty Balloon Flights, and market research)
We may also disclose your personal information if it is required or authorised by law, where disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life, health or safety, or where we are otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.
We do not sell or license your personal information to third parties, ever.
Sensitive information is subject to greater restrictions
Some of the information we collect may be ‘sensitive information’, including information or an opinion about an individual’s health, racial or ethnic origin, weight, membership of a professional or trade association that is also personal information, among other things.
Liberty Balloon Flights may use and disclose your sensitive information for the primary purpose of collection, or for reasonably expected secondary purposes which are directly related to the primary purpose, or for purposes to which you have consented and in other circumstances authorised by the Privacy Act (e.g. where required or authorised by law to be disclosed, or where disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life, health or safety).
Security and management of personal information
Liberty Balloon Flights will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. The ways we do this include:
- Limiting physical access to our premises.
- Limiting access to the information we collect about you (for instance, only those of our personnel who need your information to carry out our business activities are allowed access
- Requiring any third-party providers to have acceptable security measures to keep personal information secure; and
- Putting in place physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in line with industry standards.
If we no longer require your personal information and are not legally required to retain it, Liberty Balloon Flights will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information.
Links from our website to other websites
Our website may contain links to third party websites. We do not operate these websites and therefore are not responsible for the collection or handling of personal information by the operators of these websites.
Accessing the information we hold about you
Under the APPs, you may be able to obtain a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. The APPs provide some exceptions to your rights in this regard. To make a request to access this information, please contact us in writing. We will require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require.
Updating your personal information
We endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date. Please contact Liberty Balloon Flights at the contact address set out below if you believe that the information we hold about you requires correction or is out-of-date.
Updates to this Policy
If you are concerned that we have not complied with your legal rights or applicable privacy laws, you may bring a complaint internally through our complaints process or you may decide to make a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au) (which is the regulator responsible for privacy in Australia).
We will deal with complaints as follows:
Step 1: let us know
- If you would like to make a complaint, you should let us know by contacting our Business Manager (see below for contact details).
Step 2: investigation of complaint
- Your complaint will be investigated by our Business Manager.
- A response to your complaint will be provided in writing within a reasonable period.
Step 3: contact OAIC
- We expect our procedures will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as follows:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
1300 363 992
Complaints must be made in writing:
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Terms and Conditions
Passengers contracting the services of Liberty Balloon Flights
do so and are bound under the following terms and conditions.
- Operator: means LBF (Liberty Balloon Flights Pty Ltd), ACN624461623 which can also trade as Red Sun Ballooning and The Ballooning Company. LBF operates under Air Operators Certificate number  and is bound by legislation under the Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia (CASA).
- Industry partner. Due to operational requirements, you may be directed to fly with one of our industry partners. Similarly, some of our industry partners’ passengers may be flying with us. Industry partners will have all the appropriate permits and insurances to operate under the law.
- Fares: Pricing is in Australian Dollars and they reflect the price of the flight up to, and including, 31st March of the year of your purchase. Prices may vary at any time and the final price is reflected at checkout.
- Currency. Prices are in Australian Dollars and any refunds will be in Australian Dollars. No responsibility in currency fluctuation is accepted by LBF.
- Alterations/Rescheduling and Cancellations to a Booking:
Should you need to reschedule or cancel your booking, certain fees may apply. Liberty Balloon Flights should be notified by telephone or email of any cancellation requests.
- More than 7 days before the flight departure -a flight may be rescheduled without fees. A cancellation fee of $50 per ticket will apply before any amount is refunded.
- Between 48 hours and 7 days before the flight departure – a reschedule fee of $50 per person will apply to any flight rescheduled. Bookings cancelled within 7 days of a flight departure cannot be refunded.
- Within 48 hours of the flight departure – No changes or refunds are permitted. We recommend that passengers arrange their own insurance provisions in case of unforeseen circumstances including being unable to fly due to illness.
- No Show: Under no circumstances will flights be refunded or rescheduled if passengers cancel or do not turn up on the morning of the scheduled flight. You will not be eligible for any refund in part or in full and may not reschedule your booking to another date. You may send someone else in your place if you wish – we must be notified of this replacement prior to the flight date.
- Please note you cannot receive a refund on any trips booked with a gift certificate (See Section 4).
- Liberty Balloon Flights will not refund tickets on the basis of a “change of mind” decision, whether prior to the first attempted flight or following multiple cancellations due to inclement weather (see Section 5). All tickets are however transferable to others.
- Note 1: Separate cancellation and alteration provisions apply to large groups and customised events. Liberty Balloon Flights reserves the right to amend these fees and notice periods. When special circumstances arise, some of these Terms and Conditions may be superseded by those published on your booking confirmation documentation.
- Note 2: . Passengers that have lost their flights can reactivate their tickets with a payment of $ 150 per ticket if LBF is able to fly them on another date. This is subject to passenger numbers and previous bookings and is at the sole discretion of LBF.
- Gift Certificates:All Gift Certificates are valid for 12 months from the initial date of purchase.Gift certificates are valid only when fully paid by the purchaser. Gift Certificates cannot be redeemed for cash or refunded in part or in full. All tickets are transferable to other individuals and are valid only for the period indicated thereon. Once the certificate has been redeemed (i.e. the trip date has been booked) all other terms relating to Alteration and Cancellation (Section 3) apply, however the value remains non-refundable.Should you need to extend the validity of your gift certificate beyond the normal 12 months, reinstatement fees apply: 6 month extension – $75 per person; 12 month extension – $100 per person.
- Cancellations due to weather conditions: If a flight has been cancelled by the operator due to weather conditions the passenger is entitled to re-book at no extra charge for a period of 12 months. If the passenger has booked to fly three times or more during this 12 month period, LBF will endeavour to honour the booking for a further 6 to 12 months, depending on location.
- Refunds if flight booked directly through LBF: Refunds carry a 10% administration fee up to a maximum of $ 200 per booking. Vouchers are non-refundable.
- Refunds if tickets were purchased through an agent: All refunds of deposits and booking fees are to be obtained directly from the booking agent. Such booking agent may, at their discretion, retain a booking fees less than or equal to 100% of the price.
- Booking Processing and Payment: Bookings for travel with the Operator may be made by telephone, email, live chat or on the website. Once your booking is confirmed the Operator will issue you with a booking confirmation reference number. Your booking is not confirmed unless a confirmation reference number has been issued. Bookings not paid for by 72 prior to travel will be cancelled by the Operator.
- Prepare for your flight: Hot Air ballooning is an outdoor adventure activity using fields that can be uneven for take-off and landing. It is important that you dress appropriately using practical clothing and sturdy footwear. The fields can be wet and muddy, so city shoes are not advisable. Ballooning is very much a “hands on” activity and we welcome your help although it is not mandatory. Saying this, we will always need some passengers to lend a hand. We might get a little dirty on doing these tasks so please dress appropriately. Bring a change of shoes and socks with you if necessary as cold feet can ruin your experience.While the flight is always gentle, landings can on occasions be bumpy and the basket may drag and lay on its side with passengers lying horizontal for a short time. Please ask if you have any concerns.
- General Mobility: Passengers flying with the Operator must be able to climb IN and OUT of the basket unaided. The side of the basket is approx. 1.2 mt high with two footholds for passengers to use like a ladder when climbing into the basket. The Operator’s staff will be in attendance to supervise passengers climbing into the basket. The Pilot in command will make the final decision on whether a passenger is fit enough and therefore able to travel on the balloon flight.
- Less Abled Passengers: The Operator recommends that less-able persons seek medical advice before participating in a balloon flight. Civil Aviation Safety Authority rules prohibit certain disabled persons for safety reasons. As stated above the Passenger must be able to climb in and out of the basket in order to participate in the balloon flight. Passengers participating in the balloon flight do so at the own risk and the Operator accepts no liability for any damage or injury caused.
- Pregnant Persons: The Operator recommends that pregnant persons do not fly in a hot air balloon and we will not carry passengers who are over 12 weeks pregnant.Passengers who suspect they may be pregnant should check with their doctor before travel.
- Scuba Diving: The Operator will not carry passengers who have participated in a scuba dive the within 24 hours before their balloon flight. Passengers diving the day before travel should check with a qualified dive master as to the safety of the passenger in participating in the balloon flight. The Operator usually does not fly above 4,500 feet altitude and most flights are around 2,500 feet altitude. Passengers diving the day before travel who participate in the balloon journey do so at their own risk and the Operator accepts no liability for any damage or injury caused.
- Medical Conditions: Passengers with medical conditions should check their suitability to fly prior to booking and advise our staff when booking. As the entire tour could last more than 4 hours, passengers are advised to carry any necessary medication with them. Persons with medical conditions participating in the balloon flight and pack up activities do so at their own risk and the Operator accepts no liability for any damage or injury caused.
- Alcohol and Drugs: Passengers will not be allowed to fly if their judgement is impaired by alcohol, drugs, or prescription medicine or if their behavior bothers other passengers.
- Carriage at Pilot’s Discretion: The pilot in charge of the balloon has absolute discretion in deciding whether a passenger will fly or not. Such decisions are made in the best interest of the safety of the passengers and crew and the Operator accepts no liability for any inconvenience or damage caused.
- Minimum Age Requirement: Children must be a minimum of SIX years old to travel on the balloon flight and children up to the age of TWELVE years old must be accompanied by a responsible adult on the balloon flight.
- Flight Times: LBF operates balloon flights early in the morning as close to sunrise as possible and very rarely close to sunset. We DO NOT guarantee passengers will be in the air at sunrise and we have no means to guarantee that good and safe conditions for a flight come together with a nice sunrise and good views. Passengers must understand that, as in any outdoor activity, weather conditions or cloud may affect to what degree you may enjoy the views.
- Flight Duration: Flights on average last approximately one hour. Flights might be shorter or longer subject to weather conditions and areas to land on and is entirely up to the discretion of the pilot.
- Disclaimer: All passengers participate in a LBF hot air ballooning experience at their own risk. The Operator does not accept any liability for any loss, claim, injury, or any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damage which may arise out of or is in any way connected with the passenger’s participation in the activity we conduct.
- Photographs, Filming and Media: As part of your ballooning experience, LBF advises that photos and/or film are taken daily as a service to all our passengers on the morning. By travelling with us you are accepting that you assign all copyright in such photos and/or film to LBF & acknowledge that LBF has & reserves the right to use such photos and/or films in any medium & in any reasonable manner whatsoever without payment or notification to you.
- Personal Items: All personal items are carried at the risk of the Passenger. Bags and backpacks may not be carried on the balloon due to weight and safety restrictions, do not bring large bags on our tour.
- We strongly advise you NOT to bring valuables on your ballooning experience.
- You are specifically advised that you should have your own travel insurance, or home insurance for any losses incurred by any theft or loss on our tour and that we will accept no liability in that regard.
- Gift Vouchers: All gift vouchers are valid for 12 months from initial date of purchase and are fully transferable within that period. Gift Vouchers can be transferred to others.
- No Show: If you fail to show for your tour for whatever reason, you will not receive a refund as we will have held a firm seat for you and turned away other bookings to do so.
- Payment Methods: Payment can be made by : Cash, direct deposit, Visa card, Mastercard and other methods available on our website.
- Credit Card Declined: If your credit card payment or Paypal or other payment method cannot be authorized by the Operator earlier than 3 days prior to travel, our system will automatically cancel your reservation. The Operator will attempt to contact the Customer to obtain another form of payment. However, if the Operator cannot contact the Customer the Customer’s booking will not be held. The Customer will know that the Operator has obtained a correctly authorized payment and made a booking once the Customer receives their booking confirmation reference number and not before.
- Travel Agents Voucher: If your travel agent gives you a voucher, its acceptance by us as a means of paying for your service depends upon your agents’ continuing good credit status with Liberty Balloon Flights Pty Ltd.